Saturday, September 15, 2007

Screwed, blued and tattooed.

Okay, so I was watching L.A. Ink the other night and got inspired. Originally I was going to wait to get a new tattoo until after I lost 25 pounds. Well, I am still not on track with that. Plus, I really want to get a tat of a fat fairy which makes more sense to get when I lose the weight. So, we need to schedule a time so that everyone can come with me to get my new tattoos. Yes, I said tattoos as in more than one!

The first one:
What I had originally thought about getting was the design that is seen on the inside of the door to Bagend in the Lord of the Rings movies. Here is a shot of what it looks like:

I was thinking of getting it on the inside of my wrist in green. So, why this strange idea? Well, first of all, starting a new job is like opening a new door. Also, once I saw the first film of the trilogy I began reading the books and was hooked. It was as if I had discovered my own little fantasy world. My own little "happy place" that I had been wishing for my whole life.

More importantly it inspired me to start writing again and reading more into the world JRR Tolkien created which is just amazing. Having this inked on the inside of my right wrist would symbolize to me the opening of new doors both creatively and spiritually. Had I not taken the leap and applied, I would have never found a new job that will hopefully pull me out of the hole I am in both emotionally and financially. Had I not discovered Tolkien's world, you would probably not be reading this blog right now and I would have lost something that I always loved doing and held so dear -- writing. It is not a fan tattoo as much as it is something deeply personal that was brought out by a book.

The second one:
This one I am going to need your help on. Basically, I want to get something to symbolize the friendships that I have. You have no idea how much you have helped me through this year. It brings tears to my eyes to think about how wonderful my friends have been and how much they have helped me and pulled me through the rough times. I don't think I could have survived (and keep surviving) if it wasn't for you.

Originally I thought about getting something like: H H or H 2007 H . HH for Hag Harem, which is funny but really does cover about 90% of the people who have helped me through everything. However, Hag Harem really doesn't cover them all.

I thought about getting this:

Which is the Chinese symbol of friendship. Although nice, it really doesn't do justice to the love and support I have felt from you all. Plus, Chinese symbols are so cliche. If I have to, I will do it but I really wanted something a little ... more.

SO that means that you bitches have an assignment. Please help me find something to symbolize our friendship. I still sort of like the Hag Harem idea, but I don't want to leave anyone out. Please rack your brains and send me any and all ideas. God knows I am a big girl and all, but I don't have enough room to get all your names tattooed on my ass.

I would also like to take this time to show some love to everyone who has shown me love, kindness, and support throughout this year. I really don't know if I could have survived it without you and I really mean that. I am not just giving out some Hallmark words here. I went through some really dark times and I am not sure I would be here still if it wasn't for the love and support of all of you. In no particular order, I would like to thank:


Tim & Ron, Candy & Matt, Renee, Stephanie, Donna, Anna, Erin, Tamra, Laura, Jamie, Allie, Kathy, Amy Newman, Maggie, Peg, Suzanne, Claudia, and of course my Mom and Dad.

*trust that if I forgot anyone, it was merely an unfortunate and accidental oversight*


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi lothian, actually that chinese character means 'natural'. click here: http://www.chinapage.com/word/friendship.jpg
to see how friendship is written in chinese :) as you know in chinese language we don't like to leave words hanging on their own and we like to pair them up, so there is this other character that means friendship too (and is more poetic and formal than the one in the url link) that i'd be glad to write down and show you if you want (cos i'm at work right now and can't find the software to type the character for me).

Lothian said...

Thanks for visiting! Your offer is very kind of you, thank you. I have always been a little hesitant to get characters from a different language that I don't speak or read. You always hear horror stories about what people "actually" got tattooed on themselves.

In a slightly related story, I remember once I wore a skirt to work that had Chinese characters on it. One of my co-workers, who is Korean, could also read these characters and translated them for me. Thankfully my skirt didn't say "wide load" or "kick me" anywhere!