Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Fall is here and I am ready to fall out!

I am warning you right now that this post will probably make about as much sense as a kid with ADD all jacked up on pixie sticks.

Mmm...pixie sticks....

Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone on what has been going on with me lately as I haven't been posting in awhile and haven't been online for awhile.

As you all know, I have been training for a new job at Medco. Now that training is over, I had to leave my cushy Monday through Friday 8:30-5pm shift and go to a lousy Monday, Tuesday Wednesday, Friday, Saturday 3:30pm to Midnight shift. Ugh!!

I have to admit that I love the traffic, but with the season change, I never seem to see the sun. Overall, I really like the job and it is getting easier and easier everyday. I really don't miss working at the bookstore. However, I miss my friends! I mean, I have people who I can eat lunch with and talk to at Medco, and everyone is really nice. However, at the bookstore I forged life long friendships for those 7 years. I miss seeing those people everyday or so. I know I will stay friends with many of them, but I guess I am just a little depressed and am finding it hard to adjust to making new friends and not seeing my old friends as frequently as I am used to.

The fact that this night shift is killing me is kind of amusing. I used to be able to stay up until 4 or 5 in the morning and sleep until 2 in the afternoon, no problem. I used to be able to function on 5 hours of sleep. Yeah, I am officially old now. Those days are long gone! Going to bed at 2am is just not as fun as it used to be.

Of course, all employees had to request a shift bid just recently. Basically what happened is we were all giving a rank number based on tenure. Mine was 506. Then, we had to look at all of the available shifts and rank them 1-506. Yes. I had to look over 506 different schedule combinations and rank my preference. 506 of them. Did I mention there were over 506 combinations? Once we ranked everything, we submitted our bid and waited. It was like Medco Roulette. I could have gone from 3:30-midnight to something much better ... or worse. Believe me, there was worse (split shifts, graveyard, etc).

Alas, once my body gets used to this 3:30-midnight, I will begin my new schedule. Officially November 26th. I really can't complain too much since it could have been much worse. I will be working M T W 8:30-7pm, Sat 3:30pm-2am. Working 4 ten-hour days is kind of nice, but that overnight Saturday shift is going to be awful. At least we are really slow those hours!

4 comments:

Jennifer McKenzie said...

ACK! What a schedule! I used to work nightshift. I preferred it. Then, I had kids. I'm officially cured of "night duty".
Now, I just want to string together seven hours of sleep.
Good luck with the new job and it sounds like you're doing great.

Alaska Steve said...

Hey Girl, hang in there. The 4 - 10's part of the equation is a good thing, right? Changing jobs is hard - and stressful - try a grilled cheese, I just had two and my stress is gone . . . . okay, not the best advice . . . . keep smilin'!

Timron1999 said...

Your old BN friends will ALWAYS be here. I quite like your schedule. Sat sux, but you'll make it.

Lothian said...

Jen: The new job is going much better, thank you. You have been super supportive!
Alaska Steve: Actually, that is great advice. Warm cheese is never wrong.
TimRon1999: It really isn't a bad schedule, you are right. It is just going to take some getting used to is all.