Saturday, January 12, 2008

When it rains, it pours.


I just found out last night that my mother needs surgery. Not just any kind of surgery either, but major surgery. Basically it turns out that she has about a 75% blockage in her carotid artery. The doctor wants her to have an MRI or CAT scan to determine things further. This doesn't come as much of a shock since her father had a stroke and her mother died from hardening of the arteries.

The problem is that my parents don't have any insurance. None. Mom works part time at Joanne Etc, but she doesn't think that insurance would pay for something pre-existing if she applies for it now. My father's factory shut down a few years ago and left all those men without jobs and insurance. Both are too young for social security so they are struggling financially. Of course, they tell me this AFTER they give me $1300 dollars to help fix my car.

It is at the point where my mother doesn't want to have the surgery because of the money and the risk. Apparently there is a huge risk of the blockage breaking off and rushing to the brain and killing the patient. What do I say to that? Of course I want her to get better and I don't want her to risk having a stroke. God knows what kind of condition a stroke would leave her in.

My question to you all is this. I know a lot of my readers have had insurance issues in the past and have either gone without or have gotten some sort of supplemental coverage. Does anyone out there have any ideas what they can do to help pay for all of this? Of course your thoughts and prayers are also very much needed and appreciated at this time too.

2 comments:

Timron1999 said...

I am so sorry about your mom. I have had numerous insurance issues with my surgeries. Have your mom go to the hospital where the surgery will take place (or ask the doctor) and apply for payment by charity. My surgery and rehab was totally paid for, thankfully. Most hospitals have this, especially if the surgery is non elective, which it is in this case. Hope that helps. I'll be thinking of your mom.

Toni Sue said...

Aw man, that sucks! I have been sans insurance for about 4 months and wouldn't ya know it, that's when hubby has a surgery and I end up in the ER! They take payments and will help those in financial need. Gently nudge (ie: force, if you have to) your mom to have it done. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers ((((HUGS)))